Saturday, May 2, 2009

Free Comic Book Day! A new holiday! Mark your calendars!

May 2nd, 2009: Free Comic Book Day

Probably the most awesome day ever.... in history. The days starts off as any other; waking up, maybe taking a shower... remember that I do in fact need to bathe, deciding I have no time for that shit! (kidding... I do infact bathe everyday [just painting a picture]), eat cookies for the breakfast, etc. But this is NOT just another day! It's free comic book day at the local comic book stores!

We went to Richard's Comics and Collectibles today for the annual event. It was pretty awesome. The weather was good, cool stuff to gather, and lots of people! There were a few artists (of course, not the names that you would find in Marvel or DC, but plenty of indie and/or local artists) They do sketches for you and sign comics and I think it's pretty cool to give back to those that are buying your stuff (I realize they're just trying to get their stuff out there but cool!) Usually the 501st would be there but they weren't this year; which is weird considering they go to everything that could in any way be dorky. Never-the-less, Vader was still present... to scare little kids... which happened a few times... stupid babies. There was also a guy decked out in the Batman suit from the 90s... which was cool and apparently hot as hell.

Anyways, amongst the teaser comics given were The Avengers, Fantastic Four (with Spiderman), Wolverine, Black Lantern (something like that), Star Wars, and plenty others. These are of course, like I said, teaser simply to get you into what going on in the now. Though admittedly, I haven't followed up on ANY of the ones I managed to get last year. Someday I might though... Obviously, I haven't had time to read them all, but they do look pretty cool.

There were also raffles to win comics, posters, and a cardboard cutouts. I'm entered in a drawing for the Wolverine wall...tarp? It's huge... It'll take up a whole wall. Wish me luck!

and in commemoration of this day I will also follow up with a review for the new X-men flick: Wolverine for which I have just returned from for Comic Book Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment